During the Year of Faith (11 October 2012 to 24 November 2013), the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, is offering a plenary indulgence for the temporal punishment of sins. The requirements for receiving a plenary indulgence for oneself or a soul of the faithful departed are as follows:
- Express a detachment from sin.
- Go to confession.
- Receive Holy Communion.
- Pray for the Holy Father’s intentions.
- Recite the Apostles’ or Nicene Creed.
AND do one of the following:
A. Participate in Mass or in another liturgy in one of the following pilgrimage sites established by the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston:
- Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, Houston
- Shrine of the True Cross, Dickinson
- St. Patrick Catholic Church, Galveston
- Annunciation Catholic Church, Houston
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, Houston
- Prince of Peace Catholic Church, Houston
- Guardian Angel Catholic Church, Wallis
B. Participate in Mass or in the Liturgy of the Hours within the archdiocese on one of the following days:
- December 8, Immaculate Conception
- December 12, Our Lady of Guadalupe
- February 22, Chair of St. Peter
- March 19, St. Joseph
- June 7, Solemnity of the Sacred Heart
- September 14, Exaltation of the Cross
- October 11, Anniversary of the Inauguration of the Second Vatican Council